Digital Photography/Art

Food is Not Just Fuel, its an Experience

Taken in the Mac lab in Bain.

• Taken in my house and in the kitchen.

1

1. I chose the foods because I had to improvise because I had limited time as I was absent at the time of the project.The picture of the eggs symbolize my breakfast as I start my day. The chips were decided because they are brightly colored and can easily stand out in a black and white environment.
  2. The light source of each photo were the light bulbs in my kitchen and Mac lab. The egg photo was taken around 5:45 am. The chip photo was taken around 10:20 am. The lighting for the chip picture affected the mood by creating a balanced contrast in lighting creating satisfaction. The lighting in the egg photo created an overall bright atmosphere. There are not many value’s of black and instead creates a contrast of grey.
  3. Both photos used the composition technique of rule of thirds. The rule of thirds is on the model and on the bag of chips, dragging your eye to the main subject. The rule of thirds is on the eggs, dragging attention to the vivid eggs.
  4. The colors and color splash technique contribute to the liveliness of the photos. It brings it alive to drag you to one object. I chose to mask the ketchup in the photo to bring the photo more color. I felt it would be bland with just yellow eggs.
  5. For the chip picture, I used the camera with a 18-35(reg) lens. The picture of the eggs was just a normal picture with an iPhone camera. With the actual camera, I took a photo with a smaller depth of field compared to the egg photo. No exposure adjustments were don to either image. The small depth of field enhanced the image by creating a stronger sense of value. The wide depth allowed the color to stand out around the bland environment.
  6. Next year, students should try to experiment with value and depth. They should also choose foods that are bright and vivid to allow them to take a better photo. I encourage the student in the future to change the setting of an iPhone camera to create a better quality image

Next Post

Previous Post