Digital Photography/Art

Mr. Morale

Artist Statement:

(Describe your artwork)

My black history month poster features the famous artist Kendrick Lamar. The poster mimics the artwork of Shepard Fairey using the elements of color and contrast. The subject matter embodies how Kendrick Lamar has used poetry in his music as political commentary to inspire millions.

(How did you create your artwork)
I created my artwork by using Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. First, I brainstormed what inspiration figure I was going to use and what colors I was going to use. Then in Photoshop, I eliminated the background of my selected image. Then I created a gradient map to create the contrast of colors on my figure. Then I transferred to Illustrate to add things like the border, shadow patterns, and typography.

(What is the big idea behind your artwork) 

The big idea behind my artwork is to celebrate Black History Month and the accomplishments of Kendrick Lamar. I wanted people to recognize how powerful Kendrick Lamar is through the colors I chose. I also chose the word “poetry” because Kendrick Lamar uses poetry to create stories and messages through his music. Kendrick Lamar even won a Pulitzer prize because of his music and I wanted that to be a part of my artwork. 

(What were your goals for this artwork)
My goals for this artwork was to emphasize Black History and the great people in Black History. Another goal I had for this artwork is to recognize rap music can be a form of art. Ultimately, I wanted to recognize Black History and open others to listen to the great music Kendrick Lamar makes.

(What are your overall thoughts on your artwork)

Overall, I enjoyed making my artwork inspired by Shepard Fairey. I think I completed all of the elements of the poster. This includes things like the gradient and the word to pull it all together. Hopefully, this artwork opens people to my figure. 

Next Post